Sunday, November 14, 2010

Portfolio Shoot II

Erika. Photo by Jenn Tran.
Jame. Photo by Jenn Tran.


Lindsey. Photo by Jenn Tran.

Caitlin. Photo by Jenn Tran.

Paula. Photo by Jenn Tran.
Yesterday Jenn and I did a five hour session with a new group of women. Like the last session, it was a lot of fun with lively conversation. Most of the women weren't previously acquainted, but within minutes it felt like a girls' day with a bunch of friends. I spent about 30-45 minutes with each woman, working from notes I had taken in the days leading up to the shoot. I had done a lot of google image searches prior to look at celebs and period makeup, while jotting notes on which colors to use. When I finished a face, I turned her over to Jenn who was working in various places around my apartment. A favorite spot ended up being the wall of New Yorker covers in my front hallway. We had a run of ages between 23 and 34 (not that you could ever tell who's what age) and all women have remarkably lovely skin; it didn't take much to polish up their complexions. In some instances I used minimal color to simply highlight bone structure, focusing mainly on lips and skin. In others, I chose to dramatize the face in a way the owner wasn't accustomed to. A few ladies in this shoot rarely wear makeup, and I especially enjoyed their surprise and delight at seeing themselves in a new way. Capturing these looks for my portfolio would not have been possible without Jenn's incredible eye and use of light and surroundings. I am incredibly grateful to her for collaborating with me, and donating her talent to my fledgling business. My latest dream is for the two of us to be asked to make a book that features my makeup and her portraiture. Hey, it could happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment