Thursday, November 4, 2010

You've Got To Have Tools

When I was a 17 year-old MAC groupie and spent most of my free time stalking the counters at Northgate and Downtown Nordstrom, I used to ask the artists for tips and tricks. At that time I was a broke high school student and would scrape together money to buy a new eyeshadow or pressed powder (because you HAD to have a perfectly matte face in the late-90's). I feel lucky in retrospect that they didn't mind me hanging around never buying anything. One time I remember a couple of artists saying they'd rather have good brushes and bad quality makeup than the other way around. I didn't understand why you would ever want to fork over $25 for an eyeshadow brush when you could get three eyeshadows for the same price. I paid $15 for a small eyeshadow brush shaped like a fan and hoped it would do everything for me. Alas, when I did my dorm room makeovers a year later I found I was quite limited. Without the right tools, you simply can't get great looks.


Those artists were right--great brushes are truly the key. Well-made brushes will last for years and give you outstanding results. When I do lessons I always assess a person's brushes first. If they need better quality brushes, or just brushes period (those sponge-tip applicators that come with shadows are just ugh) I recommend some of my favorites. The only makeup technique you really need to know how to do is blend. Good brushes will help you blend easily and quickly. I've chosen two of my favorites to show you here. Let me be clear, I'm not selling product for MAC, I just use their brushes and think they are excellent quality. The one on the left has very soft, fluffy bristles and a domed top--making it perfect for washing shadow all over the lid and defining your crease. With this brush you can do a smokey eye fairly easily. I use the very tip of it and blend in small circles from the center of the lid outward. The brush on the left has firmer bristles with a stiffer texture and round, beveled edge. It's perfect for patting color onto your brow bone or lid. I will often use it to pack shadow onto my lid and brow bone and then use the other brush to blend away any hard edges. These two brushes are necessary for anyone who wants to get more serious about makeup--beginners, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment