Sunday, October 24, 2010

Getting Back Into It

A close-up of my work on Dani
It really comes together once the bride is in full regalia

Since I moved back to Seattle in 2006, I haven't done much with my artistry aside from making up friends for Halloween, a girls' night or the occasional wedding. I certainly haven't worked at a cosmetic counter since I left MAC down in Phoenix. It's a skill that I exercise every day on my own face, but has largely lived in my back pocket and on my resume for the last four years. I felt no need to explore artistry or learn new methods or study images or follow trends closely. It was enough to do my own face well and leave it at that. Then I received an email from Dani, a friend of one of my husband's colleagues--she was looking for a makeup artist for her wedding.

Dani showed up fresh-faced with her mother and future mother-in-law in tow for our demo appointment. We hadn't met prior and we were both hoping we would be the right fit for each other. It was my first time making up a stranger since I was working the counter in Phoenix! It was a great experience, because not only is Dani extraordinarily pretty, with radiant young skin, she's also great at communicating her wants.

One of the most challenging aspects of makeup artistry is articulating a person's vision onto their face. I tell wedding clients straight away, "look, I'm an amazing artist, I know everything I do looks good. That's not an issue. What matters is if YOU like what I'm doing." I say this with humor, partly to break the ice, but also to let the client know we will work from her specifications. The last thing I want is for a bride to feel less than perfect because she didn't feel like she could give me direction.

Dani sent me pictures of looks she likes, pictures of herself so I could see how she likes to wear her makeup and we kept in touch in the months leading up to the big day. When the day came, it felt like a privilege to hang out with the bride and her girls and moms. I think I ended up doing four or five faces besides Dani's. It was a very different experience from past wedding parties who all came in to the MAC counter for their appointments. I realized how much more creative and free I felt meeting the party on location, with my own kit and time frame. There was no walking away to help other customers or rush to finish. It was me, my tools and a church backroom full of women of all ages, pulling together for Dani's wedding.

I credit Dani directly with my recovered passion for artistry. From her wedding demo last November I started rediscovering my love of creating new, beautiful looks and experimentation. This past spring/summer I did bridal makeup for several women. My obsession burns anew and I am grateful and excited to see where this leads....

No comments:

Post a Comment