Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Progression


I started playing around with makeup as a toddler (much to my mother's chagrin). One of the most exciting gifts I received as a fifth grader was a Revlon set of mini lipsticks and matching nail polishes. I would do "makeovers" that involved application of lipstick and a matching mani or pedi. In middle school I got really into Cover Girl and Wet n' Wild stuff and loved to experiment with pretty much anything. My best friend at the time and I used to do full makeup applications on each other every weekend night, in an attempt to look "hot" and "older". Since as twelve year-olds we couldn't go out to the clubs, we mostly just looked in the mirror a lot and wished the boys we liked could see us all glammed up. As a high school kiddo I was the friend who picked out looks for everyone for our formal dances and usually ended up doing hair and makeup on everyone.

Eventually this love of makeup evolved into a passion-obsession. In college my roommates and I spent many a dark Seattle evening bent over Kevyn Aucoin's "Making Faces" and selecting looks for me to try on them. I offered brow plucking services and personal shopping for cosmetics. When I realized that my English degree wasn't leading to a clear career path, I knew I had to become a MAC artist.

The second picture above was taken about six months after I graduated from UW and was proudly working at the MAC counter. I posted it along with a picture taken this spring (by the amazing Jenn Tran) to show the progression of my tastes, style and skill. As you can see, I love wearing color on my eyes, always have. I chose the two photos because they showcase a similar look--bright, color-washed eyeshadow, well-defined cheeks and sheer, glossy lips. Since the early aughts, my work has become more controlled, more detailed and defined.

2 comments:

  1. I'll vouch for Kate's description of her progression from 4 year-old make-up thief to modern-day make-up artist. She's a verifiable talent in the field. My outlook on personal style changed when Kate introduced me to MAC cosmetics, particularly lipsticks, and helped me select and learn to apply just the right palette for my skin and age. I'm her oldest satisfied customer--AND her mom--and if any of you gorgeous gals out there are tired of looking at the pathetic results of your middle-aged mothers' out-dated make-up skills (hey, we're the daughters of women who painted themselves with Avon), send them over to Kate DesRosier and she'll bring them into the 21st century!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The transition is amazing. MAC should sponsor this blog.

    ReplyDelete